Sunday, October 31, 2010

Time to get a chip on my shoulder

My current strength right now is knowing that I have none. I am not comfortable with where I am as a designer, I'm not where I want to be. However I find it refreshing to think about. It's not that I am depressed with my work. I often really like some of the work that I have done and allow myself to be happy with it, but not for too long. Recently however I think I have been allowing myself to be too comfortable for too long and that's a bad thing, that is completely hampering to my improvement. I am too young and nowhere near a good enough designer to be comfortable. The lack of return calls from companies I have applied to snapped me out of this state of relaxation with my designs. I have to improve and I think it is actually healthy to look back at your own work and say "damn I could do better than that." This is the strongest strength I have as a designer right now.

Furthermore I think it is time to get competitive. Even though I used to disagree with that statement and would tell myself that I design for myself and because I enjoy it. I see nothing wrong now with being competitive and if anything it will fuel my fire to be better. That's not to say that I am going to hide techniques from classmates or steal and cheat from people. I am going to treat design like I do sports. My class is my team, I want us to be the best possible and I want us to be better than all other schools. When it comes to jobs if a company turns me down, that is fine I am the only one to blame for that, however I will want the place that hires me to be better than the companies who didn't give me a shot. I used to look at this mentality as shocking but in the sports world when a team cuts a player it isn't looked at as bad to want to be better and then beat the team that cut you when you are on a new one, in fact it is honorable.

With that said I need to get uncomfortable. It's time I got a chip on my shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment