Monday, October 25, 2010

Work Ethic

Recently I have really been pondering the amount of work and time that goes into being in DAAP. Is it worth it? Am I really giving up having a life outside of DAAP during the week. Right now I'm not really sure. I think that I have to learn to moderate. Example I refuse to pull an all nighter this whole quarter unless there is completely emergency. I shouldn't have to do that. Really what it comes down to is I need to manage my time better. I need to organize and have a plan for how I am going about doing things. That is really how I am going to get the most work done, also I have to schedule time to have outside of DAAP. A career is very important to me however from my visits to nursing homes last quarter nobody was really giving me advice on how to get a job or an important way to earn money, it was all about living life. Even though many people think that it is crazy to listen to them they probably realize what is important after being through it all. Maybe I really won't know until I go through it all. Anyways I got a lot of work to do and I'll probably be up all night, peace out.

2 comments:

  1. The amount of quality time you spend working on projects will be proportionate to your level of success. If you want to be a good designer, you'll have to put in a lot of time. That might not mean all-nighters, but it does mean a lot of time. Check out the 10,000 hours rule and then do the math.

    Don't get discouraged by an occasional long night - no one expects you to manage your time like a veteran. Part of learning to do the work well means learning how long it takes to do things well. Plus, when you're an old person you won't be telling anyone that you regretted it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben I feel ya buddy. I agree with Michael though. The most important thing you can do is to fully understand or realize the amount of time that you actually need to accomplish a set task. Underestimating the amount of time we as designers will need is something we have all done and had to deal with. It is a terrible feeling and learning how to avoid that is one of the best ways to avoid producing sub-par work.

    ReplyDelete